Apply for Laboratory Staff Member of the Year
Is there somebody in your lab who makes a difference every day? Nominees will be considered on the basis of experience, promoting of science activities and contributions to the advancement of all aspects of their field. The recipient for example can include scientists, facility manager, laboratory analyst lab technician, research assistants, post-doctoral scientist or graduate student.
Entrants can be nominated by themselves, their colleagues, supervisors or members of the public, but please ensure you have their permission to do so.
Entry is by a 5 A4 page submission; candidates should provide evidence of excellence relating to one or more of the following criteria listed below.
- Please provide a one page CV with details of their previous employment history.
- Have they undertaken work in your laboratory that has successfully improved research or technology in your lab? Have they added to the development of new or use of existing technology or equipment to enhance working experience in the lab? What impact has their work had? Please quantify the impact where possible.
- Have they improved working practices by introducing new methods that provide more accurate or speedier results?
- Do they demonstrate innovative skills to enhance lab performance or research?
- Do they have outstanding administrative or finance skills? Has the use of new approaches improved administrative procedures or reduced costs?
- Have they spearheaded an initiative to gain laboratory accreditation?
- Have they resolved a challenging scientific problem? Do they have excellent problem solving skills and, if so, how have they developed solutions to particularly tricky problems?
- Have they proved to be an indispensable member of the laboratory team?
- Have they undertaken training of colleagues to enhance their laboratory skills or understanding of science? Have they developed learning materials or systems to support the training experience?
- Have they shown excellent interpersonal and communication skill? Have they actively communicated their work by publications, awards presentations or activities?
- Include any other statements or facts that support the entry, and a testimonial from the nominee’s head of department or supervisor where possible.